Thursday, August 28, 2008

Private Confession and Christian Liberty

Sometimes people hide behind "Christian Liberty" so much that they make it vitually impossible to get a straight answer about simple matters of practice. I wrote this in '06 to express my frustration that you can't get a Lutheran to give you any helpful answers or advice on what to do regarding Private Confession, but it fits most matters practice:

Q: When should I get my oil changed?

A: It's a matter of "car liberty". Change it when it needs it.

Q: Yeah, but when is that usually?

A: Well, it's hard to say. Every car and every driver is a little different.

Q: I know that. Can you give me a ball park?

A: I hesitate to give you a number because I don't want you to feel like you have to do it the moment the odometer rolls over to that point. It isn't an exact science or anything.

Q: I understand. Can I have some guidance?

A: Just read your owners manual and do what you think will benefit your car the most.

Q: Yeah, but the owners manual doesn't clearly cover everything in the detail that I need.

A: That is when you take responsibility as a car owner and do what needs to be done to maintain your car.

Q: And what is that?

A: Car maintainance.

Q: So should I change the oil every time I fill up with gas?

A: No, that would be expensive and unnecessary.

Q: Okay... But I shouldn't go on forever and ignore it either.

A: No, that would lead to problems later. Although there have been people who have never changed their oil and seem to get along fine.

Q: When do you change your oil?

A: Well, you shouldn't base your car practices off of someone else.

Q: Why not? Your car doesn't break down. I don't want my car to break down either. I want my car to be as successful as your car.

A: Yeah, but doing what I do doesn't mean your car will run right.

Q: Duh... but don't you think I need some kind of example to follow as a suggestion?

A: Just as a suggestion? I don't want you to make the mistake of being a legalistic car owner...

Q: Just as a suggestion... please... help me out here.

A: You know, different drivers maintain their cars differently. I won't judge a car owner for changing oil less often or more often than I do. I can't really pin it down to a specific brand of oil or time between changes because it is really kind of subjective.... It's car liberty.

Q: WHEN DO YOU CHANGE YOUR OIL!!!

A: ...................about 3,000 miles or every 4 months.

Q: 3,000 miles. Thank yo-

A: ...But don't quote me on that.

No comments: